Google Spreadsheets has an outstanding feature hidden in the depths of its help pages.
It’s called GoogleLookup.
How does it work? Try this:
- Open a Google Spreadsheet
- Type Denmark in A2, France in A3 and Turkey in A4
- Select A2:A4.
- Holding the Ctrl (Win, Linux) or Ctrl+Option (Mac) button expand that selection by dragging the small blue square in the lower-right of the selection to, say, A20. Check this if you need more help.
- Surprised? You’ve seen nothing yet.
- Type capital in B2
- Again, expand that to B20.
- Then go to C2 and type =GoogleLookup(A2;B2)
- Then again, expand that to C20.
You could also try doing different things, like typing Apple, Microsoft, Dell… in A2 and CEO in B2. Or even more!
I think this is very exciting! Microsoft should really start worrying for Office.